|Location:||Cedar Rapids, IA|
· Responsible for the accounting of complex transactions typically associated with advanced accounting such as verifying the accuracy of journal vouchers and accounting classifications assigned to various records; processing and summarizing financial transactions; preparing income and balance sheet statement; assisting in the preparation of financial reports (e.g., for shareholders, policy owners, regulatory authorities and management) and state and federal tax returns.
· Works with both internal and external sources to ensure proper reporting of financial data.
· Completes and provides a complete analysis of accounting topics relevant to the area.
· Identifies, researches and recommends solutions to areas of concern in relation to accounting information.
· Seeks out potential areas of improvement (for example, workflow, automated processes), by documenting business processes, identifying controls and deficiencies, testing identified controls, and mapping internal financial statements to business processes.
· Develops nonstandard reports and statements. Prepares information for use by a higher authority; communicates methodology and areas of concern.
· Participates on project teams or leads project teams.
· Responsible for adherence to the company's framework of internal controls.
· Reviews and analyzes budget to actual variances and related operation reporting for Division managers.
· Assists with the preparation of the divisional budget.
· May be responsible for the quarterly and annual preparation and review of statutory financial reporting.
· May have supervisory responsibilities, or review work or train other accountants.
· Bachelors degree in Accounting or equivalent
· Minimum of 5 years of experience, with degree.
Behavioral & Leadership Competencies
· Solid knowledge of accounting area preferred (for example, investments, insurance products, premium, tax).
· Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, ability to handle multiple projects, willingness to take on new projects, customer service approach.
· Work effectively individually and within a team, organizational and prioritization skills, effective judgment.